Weaving my way around Rheumatoid Arthritis.

quick recap

with one comment

Can’t believe it’s been over two months since I blogged. Life has been busy, and I haven’t been focused on tracking.

Some highlights from the past two months:

DD2 bought her first house, on the opposite coast. Many phone calls and texts back and forth, to offer guidance and support. She closed New Years Eve. I can’t wait to go and visit!

DS graduated from college! He worked full-time and went to school part-time, so it’s been a long time coming! Now the job hunt begins.

DD2 was here for a two-week visit. I guess it’s a testament to the strength of our relationship that we can go a year without seeing each other, and when we are back together, if feels like it’s only be a minute. She plans several visits this year, for weddings.

DD1 is thinking of a May wedding. Nothing definite yet, but conversations have begun. Something small and intimate.

I have one missing chicken – just disappeared into thin air and one who is lame in one foot. The others are doing well and still laying. Now that the days will be getting longer, the younger flock is acting like they will start laying soon.

DXH had a melanoma removed from his cheek, and is healing well. They said they got it in time. Still disconcerting to have another type of cancer after the prostrate two years ago.


I’ve had a cold for 2 months and am still coughing. ERG.

I’ve seen the neurologist, who has only one screwdriver, in one size. He has a very large Philips head screwdriver – my screw either is a very tiny Philips head or another type of screw altogether. His screwdriver wouldn’t work. His advice – go home and forget all about it. He was young and patronizing. Each of my symptoms could be caused by any number of other things – I understand that. But when you add them all up, they have to mean something and I’m not sure ignoring them until they get worse is the best course of action. Needless to say, he is no longer on my health team.

I’ve lost 7 of the 16 inches of edema gain. I’m getting lymph massage 2 times a week and acupuncture once a week. The scale is moving, very slowly, down 3 pounds. Prednisone is evil.

From an RA point of view, I am doing really well. I was on my feet cooking and doing all day Christmas eve and Christmas day, and only had a tiny edge of a backache by the end of the day. I am noticing the winter storms as they roll in and out, with their 20 and 30 degree temperature changes, but with only mild aches, nothing an hour on the couch doesn’t fix. Usually a nap and I’m good to go for the rest of the day. Certainly nothing I would call a flare. Much better than this time last year.

My hands are healing. I’ve not taken any more prednisone and have reduced the cortisone to less than once a week. I’ve had blisters only twice in the past 2 months. Four knuckles are still cracking and  dry, the skin on one hand has a dry patch. I’d say I’m about 90% better.

I’ve switched to Tirosint – a certified gluten-free thyroid medication that comes in factory sealed blister packs – so no chance of cross contamination at the pharmacy when they count the pills in trays that don’t get cleaned between orders. I’m also taking a vitamin D that appears gluten-free. I still have “need a nap syndrome” around 4 each day.

I’m eating meat, eggs, some fruit and vegetables, one cup of coffee with cream and sugar, rice or potato. Pretty simple stuff. And testing anything new we want to eat. The gluten tox tests cost about $15 for one test, so it certainly increases my food costs. Maybe in the long run, it will decrease my medical bills and be worth it.

Trying to lose the coffee once again. I’ve looked back at my posts, and this has been a recurring theme for the past two years. Get off the coffee, which is the only dairy and sugar I eat regularly, to see if either of those is adding to the weight/edema/ra or anything else.

The nerve symptoms continue. The past few days I’ve woken with the sleep paralysis thing. Once this week I tripped over my left foot. The trembles I’m dealing with by getting up and moving when they start. Which doesn’t mean I’m not having them, just that they go away when I move. No noticeable change in my smell/taste. Still have the strange throat rattle when resting on my back – so I don’t. Unless these things get worse, there is no way to dx. So it is wait and see.

I had 4 moles removed – the last ones I have. All are healing. One is on the instep of my right foot, so I’ve limped around for the past 5 days. The poor chicken and I are a matched set. we both need epsom salt soaks!




Written by wovensongs

December 31, 2012 at 9:40 am

One Response

Subscribe to comments with RSS.

  1. I just wanted to let you know I am thinking about you. I hope all is well.


    June 21, 2013 at 4:59 am

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

Living with Rheumatoid Arthritis

A Patient's Musings About RA From a Scientific Frame of Reference


Barnstorming: Seeking Sanctuary in the Seasons of a Rural Life

Carla's Corner

Because I can't keep silent

Pollyanna Penguin's RA Blog

This is a blog about me, my recently diagnosed rheumatoid arthritis and my struggles to stay positive about it!

∞ itis

Rheumatoid Arthritis, autoimmunity, and life

Auntie Stress

it's in you to change

Buffalo To Go

Weaving my way around Rheumatoid Arthritis.

Rheumatoid Arthritis Guy

Weaving my way around Rheumatoid Arthritis.

ABC's of RA

Weaving my way around Rheumatoid Arthritis.

The Life and Adventures of Cateepoo

Weaving my way around Rheumatoid Arthritis.

The WordPress.com Blog

The latest news on WordPress.com and the WordPress community.

%d bloggers like this: